Monday, November 20, 2006

A Soft Answer Turneth Away Wrath

Proverbs 15:1
If everyone lived by this scripture the world be a better place. Seriously, why are people mean. Besides some kind of sick satisfaction what does anyone gain by it?
I got a ride home from one of my friends today. She called her brother to ask for a ride and I don't know why he was in a bad mood but he was really angry with her.
I understand that sometimes people are just irritable, me included, so it didn't surprise me too much (isn't it sad that we are so used to it?). What I noticed was how my friend responded to his rudeness. She got really defensive and yelled into the phone something about walking home and hung up. Fortunately for me he called back and said he would give her a ride home. She responded really sarcastically and he told her that he couldn't give her friends a ride.
He gave me a ride anyway because he know me and I live close by but even when we got in the car both he and my friend were being very rude to each other.
It was the opposite of Thumper's theory...unless they had something mean to say they didn't say anything at all. It was ugly.
I wanted to stop her mid-sentence and just say, "Can't you see what you are doing? If you had just apologized and thanked him for coming to give you a ride or not said anything at all it would have been better." Neither one had any sympathy for the plight of the other.
This kind of behavior is ridiculous and can most definitely be avoided. Sometimes I hear people say to a sibling, "Well your my sister so you have to love me." I am sorry to say it but that is just not true. Any good relationship, relative or not, has to be built. You have to work at getting along.
There are always those people that are "kindred spirits" you might say but it isn't always that way. If you don't make any effort to get along with your family than you probably won't. Most people do just because they are around them so much and loving is easier and feels better than disliking.
Why can't everyone just try to get along and be nice. Being angry is so selfish. It is all about yourself. You have no concern for anyone's feelings but your own. Then later you feel guilty and don't even want to think about your own feelings. It is a vicious cycle.
On a more positive note...my sister had her baby last Wednesday. He is my 5th nephew: Samuel Lance Franklin. I love my nephews a lot and sorry to all of you with nephews out there but my nephews are the cutest.
It was my birthday yesterday. Yeah for being 17. It basically feels the same except now I can give blood. I am pretty excited about it.

3 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Karlito said...

Well Frissa i am glad that we have built that relationship. Thanks for being so strong and such a great example. Not to mention our sweet action talks. :)

I love you!!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Combat Kyle said...

Way to be Marissa, I agree wholeheartedly. I love how I can always just talk to my sisters without ever getting really mad at them or them at me. I think my biggest pet peeve is when people say something minor, but stupid, to someone else, either offensively or defensively. It never helps the situation. The best thing you can do is to just accept whatever the issue is with the other person and avoid the confrontation altogether. I think I'm going to post on this idea soon, thanks.

Oh, and happy birthday, I had no idea. Wow, everyone is so much older than me :P

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Nathan said...

I agree 100%. People are just vicious.

I've heard stories about these kinds of sibling relationships where they're friends. I'm kinda working on that with my own brothers and sisters, but it's nothing like the stories. Oh, well. Thanks for the inspiration, though; I'm gonna try harder. :-)

And congrats on the new nephew! I'm sure mine could give all five of yours a run for their money, though.... ;-)

Happy late birthday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home