Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"Same thing we do every night Pinky, try to take over the world"

Anyone who makes over $1000 on a fundraiser MUST have a guilt-free conscience.
I like making money, especially free money, and I want to go on tour...really bad. Fundraiser just aren't my thing. Are fundraisers anyone's thing?
The people come and get you excited about selling this product, regardless of its true value, and make you think, "Yeah, I can do this. I am going to pay for all of tour and I won't even have to get a job now." Then you leave Orchestra and the fire starts to die down. It is so far gone by the time you get home that you start to wonder why you even took the brochure home.
I really have no drive sell things to my neighbors. If it weren't for my parents financial situation I wouldn't even consider it. The fundraiser guy told us that selling by phone was more efficient than going door-to-door. I was going to do that but I felt so bad about it not being personal that I ended up going door-to-door anyway. Then I feel bad because a lot of the people think you are coming to visit them and when they realize that you are trying to sell them something their countenance falls and this sad expression replaces the luminous look they showed when the door opened. So to compensate I have to stay after they buy (or even if they don't) and talk to them for at least 10 minutes. You can't get very much fundraising done if you spend 10-20 minutes at every house.
Another problem I have is when someone starts to say no or even hesitates I immediately stop trying to sell to them and say something like, "It's okay if you don't want it. I probably wouldn't buy it either." -("We're not going to sell a lot of tapes this way")- I could never be a solicitor. The company would make a profit by firing me.
My real problem is that not only do I not like selling a product but I don't want to make anyone feel bad if they can't buy it or just don't want to. That is exactly the opposite of what the fundraiser people want you to do. You are supposed to say things like, "I am going on tour with my school and to raise money I am selling cookie dough. Would you like to help me?" They want you to pull at their heart strings and I can't bring myself to do that. If someone is going to help me I want it to be because they know me and want to help me because I have done them some kind of service in the past, not because I can give a short sentimental speech before introducing them to my product.
This past summer I worked at Farmer's Insurance making calls and offering to give the customer a quote on their auto insurance. I hated it! I love talking to people and I wasn't afraid to call strangers. I didn't like that my call was undesired. No one was excited to talk to me once they knew who I was representing. I don't like that feeling.
If I have a relationship with someone I want it to be good. If I have a conversation with someone I want it to be, at the least uplifting if not personal. That is all I have to say about solicitation...I can't talk about it for too long. I get flustered.

1 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Blogger CJThatcher said...

I haven't ever been good at fundraisers either. I agree with you totally, but I think I might even take it a step further. I'm relieved when people turn me down on the fund raisers. I feel like a dirtbag selling them an over priced product that isn't really of any value.

Now, those surveys band and orchestra did last year. Those were quality. And the guy that was in charge of obviously had some very good looking genes flowing through his blood.

That's all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home