Sunday, November 05, 2006

Expectations

Okay, this blogging thing is completely new to me so give the benefit of the doubt. I love reading my friends blogs because I can get to know them in a way that the school setting does not allow. Every so often I feel I have something worthwhile to say and today is one of those days. This is what made me decide (after several people encouraging me to do so) to start my own blog. Here it goes...
Sometimes I think I expect to much of others. Whenever I learn something new or decide that doing a certain thing is important I think that everyone else feels (or should feel) the same way. I realize, of course, that this isn't true.
For example: Today was Fast and Testimony Meeting. I decided a long time ago that bearing my testimony during these meetings was important and something that will help me grow spiritually. I try to bear my testimony every time even if I don't feel particularly full of the spirit. My hope is that bearing my testimony will remedy that. Now don't feel bad if you don't do this. My intent was not to send anyone on a guilt trip. I bore my testimony today and when I got off the stand I sat down and looked around at all the people I knew that hadn't gotten up. Usually I would try to catch their eye and silently encourage them to get up. I really shouldn't do that. I don't know why they have decided not to get up but I should respect that decision. They may not be ready to express their feelings in public or need more support than a monthly head nod during sacrament meeting. A little encouragement is alright but I don't want to make them uncomfortable.
On the other hand, I appreciate it when a lot is expected of me. The high expectations of others is what pushes me and makes me want to improve in school, music, or whatever else I am doing. I hardly do anything without thinking about whether or not it will disappoint my family. I will admit that I can be pretty lazy when left to my own devices. I need that drive. I would rather have someone be disappointed in me than hear them say, "Oh, I knew she wouldn't be able to do it." That's not cool.
So where is the happy medium? How do you decide if you are expecting too much or too little? We just need to remember that most everyone is trying to be better. I figure if we don't expect very much than we will be pleasantly surprised when they have a lot to give. I have been so impressed with all the new friends I have made this year. There are so many amazing people in this world that are doing amazing things. Don't forget that you really do have unlimited potential and that the most important expectation is what you expect from yourself. If you expect greatness you will get it. I believe in you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home